[geeks] iPad - NOT a 'Miss' for me I'm afraid

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Jan 30 12:02:05 CST 2010

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 11:31:38AM -0600, Jon Gilbert wrote:
>All I can say is that the iPad is going to end up in a lot of college dorm
>rooms. Ultimate college tool... think about it.

I think it will have a lot of competition with a netbook. It's got a nice
in your hands form factor, but it's not a serious device for writing,
web surfing (too underpowered), watching videos (too underpowered),
watching TV (does anyone watch TV live anymore?) (too underpowered).

It's more of an improved Kindle or more likely an answer to the "nook",
than anything else.

Considering what you can get in the US for $200-$300 in a netbook, it's a
tough sell to me.

>The other thing it will be huge for is musicians.

Not much more than an iPod or other MP3/MP4 player. It's too underpowered to
run Garageband, can't play a music video in decent resolution, so it's just a
big player.

>I think business people
>will use them for on-the-spot sales presentations.

It runs PowerPoint? It has a VGA or DVI output? Maybe it will do for the
"I have have a better wrench" video from the snap-on guy, but again
it's too underpowered for a fill screen video.

>It's a nice little computing device. It's not for everyone though. I'll
>probably wait for the 3rd or 5th generation one, like I did with iPod and
>iPhone.

Probably a good idea.

The new dual core netbooks are going to give it a run for the money. I saw
one with a 12" screen advertised last week, I wonder how long it will be
before the feature creep down to the 10 inch.

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.