[geeks] iPad - a 'Miss' for me I'm afraid

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 17:49:32 CST 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 3:34 PM, Kurt Huhn <artisan at k-huhn.com> wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2010, at 6:21 PM, velociraptor wrote:
>>
>> I just checked out the Apple pages, the "Camera Connection Kit"
>> suggests USB host controller to me, though as an add-on.
>>

> Oh, now that's just slick.  I think the host controller was implied with
the
> keyboard add-on, but this takes the cake.  For some people this is a
perfect
> 'Net appliance - people like my grandmother, who are actually afraid of
> computers.

Further poking shows one for cameras (actually, just a USB connector),
and one for SD cards (e.g. a dock to SD card reader).  App devs will
have a field day with those.

Also found two interesting articles (please ignore the bombastic
titles, really, there's good stuff in these):

http://gigaom.com/2010/01/26/alan-kay-with-the-tablet-apple-will-rule-the-wor
ld/

And a surprising pre-announcement discussion of interfaces on
computers & "information appliances" and some of Jef Raskin's work.

http://gizmodo.com/5452501/the-apple-tablet-interface-must-be-like-this

The complaints we (e.g. "geeks") have about these devices are power-
and uber-user complaints.  They are not the kind of complaints you
hear from computer neophytes...food for thought.  (You don't make $50B
in revenue from power- and uber-users if you are a consumer software
and electronics device manufacturer, which, arguably is what Apple has
become.)

=Nadine=