[geeks] iPad - a 'Miss' for me I'm afraid

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 10:39:21 CST 2010

On 29 Jan 2010, at 15:59, Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> You assume that reusing a couple of ARM cores precludes building in
> additional Apple specific hardware to reduce the parts list.  We won't
> know how much they integrated onto the A4 chip until someone does a
> teardown and sees what is missing.

I wasn't assuming that at all really, I was just pointing out the
backbone of the system is plain-as-I ARM components. There may well he
a lot of other stuff in there but I was just indicating the
performance and power characteristics are fairly easy to duplicate if
it's largely using standard cores, rather than heavily customised
cores designed in-house that no-one else has access to.

--
Mark Benson

http://markbenson.org/blog
http://twitter.com/MDBenson