[geeks] Dell PSU punt

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 21:46:17 CST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 8:15 AM, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, got more of a request for moral support than anything!
>
> I have just swapped out a Dell Optiplex 740 that sits and sulks with a
> flashing orange power LED.

Here at work when we see those, the units are considered dead. We see
that on Optiplex GX270s mainly, and it is the sign that the capacitors
are about to give up their magic "goo" and leak all over the board...

> Got the User Manual (which is really the service book) from Dell's website
> and it says the code inducates a power problem.
>
> Tried all the usual, unplugged everything from the back, disconnected all
> the disks, swapped the RAM around. And tested each pair individually. No
> dice.
>
> The service book, in quite unprecedented fashion for Dell has the PSU plug
> pinout listed! It matches up to a 24-pin ATX supply perfectly except pins 10
> and 11. They are listed on the standard spec as +12V and yellow. The
> Optiplex manual lists them as V_12P0_DIG and they are white.
>
> So what do you guys reckon? Is it worth a punt or am I gonna let the magic
> blue smoke escape from it?

There are Dell adapters (use ATX PS in Dell system) like this one:

http://www.directron.com/dellp16.html?gsear=1

> I may be able to source a genuine Dell PSU for reasonable money - is it
> worth getting that and waiting?

A replacement PS can be fairly cheap (think I spottted a few in the
$20-40 range (plus S/H)).

I assume the warranty is out on the system (you DID check, right?)...

--
Lionel Peterson
lionel4287 at gmail.com