[geeks] geeks Digest, Vol 86, Issue 11

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Fri Jan 22 03:25:04 CST 2010

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 07:38:27AM +0000, Mike Meredith wrote:

>Almost all _land_ is sold as a freehold, which will be pretty much as you
>would expect in the US, although there may be some differences in
>respect of mineral rights.

Note that unique to England, the rights of game (edible animals) go with the
ownership of the land.

I saw a TV show about an English family that sold everything they owned
and moved to France. They bought a farm with a lake on it, expecting to
fill it with farm raised game fish and sell fishing vacations to Englishmen.

They did not understand that the moment the fish went into the lake, they
were public property, and they had to get a permit to allow people to catch
the fish they bought. They also had to pay E40 per day per person for fishing
licenses.

Geoff.
New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.