[geeks] Maildir with postfix

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Jan 21 11:35:59 CST 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 05:32:58PM +0000, Mark Benson wrote:
> I have set up and got working postfix and Dovecot for internal-only mail
> work. I want to use Maildir because the message workload will exceed the
> capacity of mbox mailboxes (65535 messages iirc). I know what you are
> about to say about managing e-mail but the situation is what it is.
>
> Anyhoo, dovecot is latching onto my user ~/Maildir folders just fine,
> but postfix is not delivering mail there. I added 'home_mailbox =
> Maildir/' in /etc/postfix/main.cnf which is all that postfix is supposed
> to require. Am I missing something? I'm fairly new to mail serving, so I
> may have missed something. Ubuntu Docs are great but a bit basic.

The last time I set it up, Postfix's LDA didn't do maildir and I had to
use an external LDA.  I used procmail, but dovecot also has their own
LDA now that you can use, and I hear that the sieve filtering language
is better than procmail anyway (but I still haven't been convinced to
reconfigure).

To use the dovecot LDA, you just add a line to your postfix main.cf like
this:
mailbox_command = /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver