[geeks] geeks Digest, Vol 86, Issue 11

Rick Hamell hamellr at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 09:26:51 CST 2010

William Enestvedt wrote:
> Rick Hamell wrote:
>> Teach critical thinking
>> Teach writing skills and research
>> Give them a way to explore interests that may develop into a hobby or
> a job.
>
>    Yes! Yes! Yes!
>
>    In college I was an English major. I read, and wrote, and discussed
> things. I did close readings of texts to discover patterns and
> motivations and to infer more subtle ideas. Now I am a sysadmin and a
> manager. My lack of a technical degree was never an issue. But I see
> that "technical" people with good language and critical thinking skills
> are more useful, effective, and flexible than those without.

This is the same reason why people who were musicians were more useful
many years ago. A musician is used to making a quick decision and going
with it even when wrong. They are also use to learning from their
mistakes much faster. One of the reasons I still tend to put that on my
resume under other activities.

--
Rick Hamell

Linkedin Profile - http://www.linkedin.com/pub/6/946/27
Technology Blog - http://www.1nova.com/blog
Pacific Northwest Photo Blog - http://www.1nova.com/photoblog
http://RickHamell.com
http://Hamell.Net

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of hamellr.vcf]