[geeks] geeks Digest, Vol 86, Issue 11

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Jan 19 14:39:07 CST 2010

On 01/19/10 11:28, Brooke Gravitt wrote:
> I still hold that stuff I found trying to complete my master's thesis rings
> true to me - computers in the classroom are more-or-less a gigantic waste of
> time and/or money. We'd be better off sticking to the maths, sciences,
> reading, etc. and instilling the young 'uns with the thinking skills needed
> to excel in the world.

I think what's needed is a smarter approach to teaching with the tools.
 Perhaps something like this:

"This is the basic technique of [FITB].  These are examples of kinds of
problem you might use it to solve.  Practice using it on them.  Got it?
 ...Good.  Now that you understand how it works and what it does, here's
how to make this tool do the gruntwork for you.  Now, here's some
real-world problems; let's see if you understand how to use the tool to
correctly apply this technique to solve them."

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.