[geeks] geeks Digest, Vol 86, Issue 11

Brooke Gravitt gravitt at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 14:00:06 CST 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Sandwich Maker <adh at an.bradford.ma.us>wrote:

> years ago i read the stat that boston public school was more expensive
> per pupil than any private sch in the metro area.  true, it's the last
> resort for special-needs kids and they're expensive, but...  my
> cousin, recently retired from boston, has planty of
> pinheaded-bureaucracy financial mismanagement horror stories.

I think the figure that was bandied about recently here that's around $13k
per student in the Atlanta area. What do they waste it on? It's amazing -
there are folks in the superintendent's office / county office making $150k
to do what exactly?   I think there must be 10 full-time coaches at any
given school, but at least some of their pay seems to be covered by booster
clubs. I can't figure out hat they spend it on. The school my wife taught at
was a "School of Excellence" and they never had heat or working AC. The new
superintendent bused all county school staff to a local stadium for a rally,
at considerable cost. They danced and sang and burned dollars by the 100.
Ok, I made that last bit up, but there was dancing and singing.

brooke