[geeks] geeks Digest, Vol 86, Issue 11

Rick Hamell hamellr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 11:43:09 CST 2010

Brian Dunbar wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 9:19 AM,  <wa2egp at att.net> wrote:
>>> Cyberschools only won't work as long as there are parents that don't
>>> want to be highly involved.
>> So what makes them different than regular schools beside the technology?
>>
>> Bob
>
> More parental involvement.
> Faster feedback when there are problems.
> Cheaper to run.  Not a _lot_  but some.
> More time spent studying, less on non-scholastic stuff.
> Work at the pace of the individual, not the group.
>
> The technology thing is, in my experience, not a big deal.  My 5th
> grader spends 90% of his time working out of books and on paper.   He
> uses the computer to enter results, conference with the teacher,
> download material.

I'm taking an online math class as step one to finally get my BA. I'm
finding that I'm spending more time on my own then I would have in a
regular class room class. I also find that I feel like I'm actually
learning more. The class isn't self paced, there are definite deadlines.

I can see a few issues - mostly with the software not being 100% Mac
compatible, but overall I'm really enjoying the experience.

--
Rick Hamell

Linkedin Profile - http://www.linkedin.com/pub/6/946/27
Technology Blog - http://www.1nova.com/blog
Pacific Northwest Photo Blog - http://www.1nova.com/photoblog
http://RickHamell.com
http://Hamell.Net

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of hamellr.vcf]