[geeks] Q: Regarding Linux in K-12 education

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Mon Jan 18 14:36:32 CST 2010

" From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
"
" On 01/18/10 14:40, Sandwich Maker wrote:
" > " From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com>
" > "
" > " []
" > "
" > " On a related note, I recently met a recent college graduate that was
" > " applying for substitute work in our district, he had student loans
" > " that he had to start paying towards and he wasn't able to find a
" > " better job than substituting - it seems he invested four years of his
" > " life and borrowed $160,000 to get an undergraduate degree in Theater
" > " Arts. When I heard that my first reaction was "Doesn't he have any
" > " parents?!"
" >
" > i have a running battle with my gf/so about this.  when i suggest it
" > isn't [financially] smart to major in art history, she seems to think
" > i'm trying to trash liberal education.  i'm all for rounded education
" > [eg. art history as a minor], but where's the sense in majoring in a
" > field where the job opps are very limited, pay is low, and/or
" > competition is fierce?
"
" Besides which, there's the problem that majoring in art history
" qualifies you to be ... well... an art historian.  And really nothing else.

you could be a museum curator.  think of the growth potential in that
field.

" There are an
" awful lot of modern "artists" out there who are basically subsisting on
" the vanity and pretentiousness of the elite high-society set who can't
" tell actual art from complete garbage, but who daren't take the risk of
" actually admitting that in public.  So no matter if it's a plain white
" canvas or a toilet with a hole drilled through it, if it has a high
" price tag they'll look solemnly at it, nod knowingly, spout a line of
" bullshit about the depth and social relevance of the artist's vision,
" and pony up the cash.

conversely, my aunt - who was an anthropologist - had a real bee about
the way museums and galleries display art from her area, not
respecting the creators because they were 'aboriginal'.  is there an
excuse for not attributing the work to the artist?  she thought it was
a cultural predjudice on the curators' part.