[geeks] Q: Regarding Linux in K-12 education

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Sun Jan 17 17:55:56 CST 2010

On Sunday 17 January 2010, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Good example.  I've been looking for a long time for a decent
> speech-recognition (and vice versa, text-to-speech) application for
> anything but Windows.  I've yet to find either.  (Yes, I know about
> Festival for test-to-speech.  I tried to set it up once.  I got
>  nowhere.)

Huh?

root at comet:~# apt-get install festival
root at comet:~# festival
Festival Speech Synthesis System 1.96:beta July 2004
Copyright (C) University of Edinburgh, 1996-2004. All rights reserved.
For details type `(festival_warranty)'
festival> (SayText "Hello there.")
#<Utterance 0xb69f09f8>
festival>

Are you using it properly?  It works fine for me on Debian...

Pat