[geeks] Q: Regarding Linux in K-12 education

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 17:26:17 CST 2010

On Jan 16, 2010, at 4:34 PM, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:

> IMHO it's a bunch of crap. Not only is Linux not suited for large
> scale desktop deployment for users of this level

Agreed. The supporter of Linux in our district has decided that we
shouldn't pay for software when there is so much high-quality software
available. He dismisses every application not available as not
important (like Dragon Naturally Speaking for kids with learning
disabilities) as 'trivial' and not worth talking about, but we have
students whose academic success relies on those applications, most of
which are only available on Windows...

I also have serious doubts there are any really large (1,000+) Linux
desktop deployments outside the Linux software industry... Not POS or
server deployments, but desktop, end-user general computing deployments.

Using Linux as a thin-client solution only gets you partial credit if
the apps/servers aren't also running Linux native apps.

Lionel