[geeks] Q: Regarding Linux in K-12 education

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 17:16:20 CST 2010

On Jan 16, 2010, at 8:20 PM, Nate <nate at portents.com> wrote:

> Not first-hand.  I was curious, did some googling, and this is what
> I could
> come up with, most of which date from a couple of years back, most
> of it in
> countries other than the US:
>
> http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/linux_terminal_server

That article is theoretical - what could be done, not what has been
done - I'll look at the rest when I get home (on a train using iPhone
and the URLs were mangled...

There are, I would guess, about 87 'gee, I just figured out that Linux
thin clients are cheaper than Windows clients, so every school should
adopt LSTP right now and save oodles of money!' articles to each 'i
actually replaced a windows PC with a Linux one in a school setting'
articles...

I have yet to find any US public School district that is 100% FOSS.
Using Linux clients to access apps on Windows boxes doesn't really
save much money, once you factor in managing a second (or maybe third)
operating environment in the district.

In my district we either displace one platform if we adopt Linux, or
the one added head count will cost more than any reduction in MS
license fees. (headcount costs $70K + benefits (incl pension) and
total annual expenditure for MS licensed software is just under $70K/
year)...

Lionel