[geeks] Q: Regarding Linux in K-12 education

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 16:33:16 CST 2010

On Jan 17, 2010, at 8:37 AM, Mike Meredith <very at zonky.org> wrote:

> might come as a surprise is
> just how much Windows software a large educational institution will
> have ... we've had consultants who've come in and have been horrified
> at how much software we run (several thousand packages). Of course
> that
> doesn't require running Windows at the desktop ... merely access to a
> Terminal Server enabled Windows Server.

Which require CALs, that are discounted if you buy them with Software
Assurance OS and server licences. I *suspect* CALs not tied to
discounted Windows desktop/client licences cost as much or more than
bundled ones.

Remember, the goal is to eliminate Windows/OS X 100%. partial cut-over
is not their stated goal.

We have over 400 apps we *know* about, who knows what special Ed snuck
in on us over the years...

Lionel