[geeks] Well, THAT was a setback

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Sun Jan 17 15:05:06 CST 2010

I've heard people talk about the Linux TCP stack falling down under
heavy load, but never had it happen to me.  Until today.

I just got done doing a totally clean OS reinstall on babylon5, my main
workstation, on a mirrored pair of SATA disks on a MegaRAID-based LSI
Logic battery-backed SATA-RAID controller.  The old OS was a custom
Linux install based originally on Slackware 7, running a 2.4.37 kernel.
 The new is Gentoo 10.0 on a 2.6.32 kernel.

With the current version of Bacula installed, I set up a storage daemon
pointed at my new-to-me LTO2 drive, which is now the only SCSI device
and this has an Adaptec 29160 controller all to itself.  The drive syncs
up at the full 160MB/s.  I started a full backup of a single client and
let it run for a few minutes ...  looked good, so I started four or five
more clients.  And about two minutes later, the network stack fell over.

I have never, ever seen that happen before...  I guess I won't be using
my LTO2 drive attached this machine *at all*.

This does raise the question of what I AM going to attach it to...  I
can't put a SCSI card into the main server and attach it to that,
because I wouldn't risk operating an LTO2 drive in the environment where
the rack is located.  It gets too cold.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.