[geeks] Q: Regarding Linux in K-12 education

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Jan 16 23:43:52 CST 2010

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 12:05:10AM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
>> However you can get a job with Mac experience in the real world,
>
>Ditto for Linux, or just about anything else you care to name.  Indeed,
>I'm working at a job right now for which the best OS to be familiar
>with would be Linux.  (Linux is not my favourite, but for the parts I'm
>doing my generic-Unix programming expertise is important enough that my
>Linux skills are "good enough".)
>
>Just because it's not immediately apparent upon glacing over the ads
>pages of a newspaper - or of some jobs-available wbsite - doesn't mean
>it's not there.

Exactly what do you do? Are there jobs for people using Linux as office
workers? Does the guy at the 7-11 even have to use a computer? How many small
(or large) retail stores use Linux point-of-sale software?

Bear in mind the proposal on the table is not to INLCUDE FOSS in the
curriculum or make it available as an option, but to REPLACE 100% of all
Microsoft software with Linux and FOSS.

Very different situations.

There are lots of companies here that develop software using Linux workstations.
When I go into a doctor's office, they all use Windows computers. There are 4
major HMO's here and each provides Windows software, which the doctor and
their staff must use.

Not knowing Windows would put an applicant at a disadvantage, even if they
were applying for a job to answer the phone and make appointments.

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.