[geeks] ASUS dual-core Atom-based netbook

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Tue Jan 12 01:48:52 CST 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:30:39PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>For those curious, ASUS has a new dual-core 330 Atom based netbook
>with ION graphics, the PC-1210N - it takes up to 8 Gig of RAM (2x DDR2
>SoDIMM slots) and has a 12" display (1366x768) with HDMI port, for
>$499 at Newegg & Amazon.
>
>Looks nice, but that is very close to a low-end laptop, save for battery life.

I guess the bottleneck on that machine would be the speed of the Atom
processors, since it is so like a conventional laptop. I wonder if
it's all that good in terms of value for money - afterall you can buy
a similar specced celeron laptop for $100 less (and that comes with
GigE; 3GB RAM and win 7 pro): http://tinyurl.com/ycbge97

How would a 2.2 GHz celeron stack up against the dual core atom?

Cheers,
Jonathan