[geeks] What you can get from the wrong furniture...

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Mon Jan 11 15:58:59 CST 2010

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 14:20:35 -0500
Dan Sikorski <me at dansikorski.com> wrote:

> What was wrong with your sitting position?
See blow.

> I have a hard time with
> desks and chairs.  Being tall with long legs (6'8", 38" inseam), I often
> have a hard time adjusting  furniture to fit me comfortably.  At work,
> my desk is a table put on some wood blocks to make it higher, and I use
> a laptop stand and docking station that holds the display up higher to
> where it's at a comfortable position.
That is nothing exraordinary and it is good to do it that way. Some of
my coworkers do the same.

> I often struggle with the chair
> adjustments to get them to suit me, and for some reason, I'm really hard
> on the armrests on my office chairs.
When I bought my new chair I tried all chairs in the furniture shop.
Dozends of them. I am build quite average (178 cm, 70 kg). I found only
two chairs that fited my but. The one that I am sitting on at the moment
and a very expensive one. The later one was adjustable in every way you
can imagine. Unbelievable but true: Many chairs are build in a way that
it is impossible to sit in them in the right position.

> At home, I slouch on a couch and
> have my feet on the coffee table to hold up the laptop.  I'm sure this
> is about the worst possible seating. :)
That is similar to what I did. Slouching, not sitting.
Two weeks ago I got the bill.

One of my hobbies was jogging. I planed to run a Marathon this spring.
Now I am hobbleing along the street like an old man. Maybe, if
everything goes well, I'll be able to walk like before. But jogging is
very questionable and a Marathon will be almost impossible.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen