[geeks] kitchen stuff

Dan Duncan danduncan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 23:40:50 CST 2010

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 2:33 PM,  <gsm at mendelson.com> wrote:
> I wanted to throw out some other things that can help you cook food to
> reduce
> the fat, etc in your life.

(Sorry for the late reply but I'm behind after the holidays)

One word:  Silpat.

It's a silicone mat that you can lay on top of or inside of cooking
pans and NOTHING sticks to it.  They last for thousands of uses and
eliminate the need for any kind of non-stick spray, butter, or fat.

I have baked cheese on mine to make low carb crunchy cracker
subtitutes and they slide right off.

Cookies work fine but you have to start with a tight ball or you'll
end up with large thin ones because they spread out so much on the
non-stick surface.

I also lay them on top of or inside pans when baking so I don't have
to scrub the pans.   (pork chops, chicken breasts, stuff like that)

You can find the 11"x17" ones (I have 3) for about $11 on sale.  They
wear out eventually, but I've had mine over 6 years and they get used
every couple of days.

They sometimes outgas the first time you use them.  (and never after
that)  I just preheat the oven with the new empty mat inside and that
keeps it from being a problem.

--
Dan Duncan