[geeks] Ubuntu on Intel graphics

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Sun Feb 28 12:30:18 CST 2010

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 01:05:21PM -0500, Joshua Boyd wrote:

>I tried upgrading to Ubuntu 9.10 (both by upgrading that disk, and also
>trying a disk with a clean install) and now what I get is a blank screen
>after the works Starting up.  If I choose rescue mode, I see a little
>text, then it turns blank faster (way less than a second) than I can
>recognize what I'm seeing.

I can't address your problem, but I ran the usual daily updates (I do it
once a week) on my UBUNTU 9.10 systems on Thursday and gnome died on
one of them.

I have not been able to figure out why, but GDM won't display on a remote
display, and when I log in with XDM, gnome-session dies. I never tried
it on the local display, I don't know if it works or not.

Since I use it for running a web browser and downloading files, I changed
/etc/X11/default-display-manager to /usr/bin/xdm and installed fvwm and
opera (mozilla uses gnome libraries).

For some unexplainable reason, it works fine on a different system,
upgraded at the same time.

>I tried in grub adding to the rescue mode kernel line the flag vga=264
>to try to force text mode, but that just makes in blank from the
>beginning.
>
>Any suggestions?

Turn off X windows, edit /boot/grub/menu.list to say nosplash and see if
you get a regular text screen with login.

You can also edit the boot parameters at boot time using grub or lilo.

You can then start x with the startx command after logging in.

Geoff.
New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.