[geeks] mp3/mp4 player questions

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Feb 23 06:30:58 CST 2010

My wife is planning on buying an MP3/MP4 player in the states and having
it brought here as a "gift".

She is not technical at all. An Archos 5 was suggested to her as the ideal
unit. I'd like to hear any comments or questions people have.

To be honest, I have no real idea of why that one or why she wants one
at all. She bought an 8g cheap mp3 player for a trip and never took it.

Mostly what she does is load it up with songs and then uses it to take
them to work.

I think she wants to expand that to videos and be able to watch/listen
during excercising, and wants something with a rather large sceen.

An iPod would be too small, an iPad too big.

She showed me a link from NewEgg, are they any good to buy from?

The units she showed me ranged in price from $169 for a 20G refurb to $450 for
a 500g unit, although she was looking at a 32g unit.

Are the refurbs worth it?

To me the $100 or so more for a 500g unit versus a 32g unit makes it worthwhile,
or am I missing something (like the 32g is NVRAM versus a disk?)

Thanks in advance,

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.