[geeks] Nice (large) laptop

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 15:26:56 CST 2010

On Feb 7, 2010, at 7:17 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2010, at 8:44 PM, "Jonathan J. M. Katz" <jon at jonworld.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering how capable a hackintosh this would be ....
>
> It would be an "unusual" (not normal) chipset with a "unknown" CPU (i7)... I
think there would be some significant hurdles for a hackintosh... Probably
doable, but I would expect a performance hit by using these parts in a
'compatibility' mode...
i5 is supported; I believe i7 is as well, while i3 is not.  New iMacs are i5;
assumption is that the next rev might be i7, or that new Mac Pros are i7? I
can't recall.

It more comes down to BIOS, nic (wired and wireless) and north and south
bridges.

> Besides, if you're going to drop a grand on a laptop, why not just get a
Mac? To ME, hackintoshes are about cheap, and $1K isn't cheap...

No i7 Mac laptops at the moment, afaik.  If you want beefy...