[geeks] flash, silverlight bypass [was: iPad - NOT a 'Miss' for me I'm afraid]

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Feb 4 14:11:23 CST 2010

" From: nate at portents.com
"
" > " Right now it is an ugly, horrible, mess.  And Adobe is terrible, simply
" > " wrapping up MPEG-4 in their Flash wrapper for so many video streams and
" >
" > speaking of which, anyone know a way to make flash and/or silverlight
" > show the url of the stream they're playing?
"
" If you mean something like YouTube, it's pretty trivial with the right
" browser plugin, like NetVideoHunter:
"
" https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7447
"
" You can download the FLV with that, and lots of software like MPlayer and
" VLC will play the FLV files (better than Flash does, I might add).  And
" you can transcode those FLV to whatever you want with the right software
" as well of course.

an excellent beginning, especially to hear that vlc can play them!
but i'm looking for something that could grab the url and pass it off
to vlc for streaming without d/l first.  i had hulu, justin.tv, cbc.ca
news, and my local tv weather podcasts in mind.

" From: Jonathan Groll <lists at groll.co.za>
"