[geeks] iPad - NOT a 'Miss' for me I'm afraid

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Feb 4 10:27:23 CST 2010

On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 11:16:57AM +0200, Jonathan Groll wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 02:25:08PM -0500, nate at portents.com wrote:
>> And Apple is best-served by drawing a line in the sand to stop Adobe from
>> taking over web standards with their lazy, badly written, poorly
>> optimized, security-hole-ridden Flash platform.  Apple can do better
>> performance video playback using optimized APIs on solid drivers to do GPU
>> assisted video decode in a more secure way and save more battery life than
>> any Adobe plugin solution ever could.
>>
> Amen to that. Many broken flash players will remain on many sites for
> a long time to come, but youtube's html5 move is a step in the right
> direction:
> http://www.youtube.com/html5

I'm hoping that they follow the initial move with a move to start
offering Ogg support as well.  Unlike a lot of bloggers, I'm not going
to criticize them for offering h264 first, since they already had the
video in h264.

I think the recent MPEG-LA announcement about "free" licensing
underscores the problem with sticking with H264.