[geeks] iPad - NOT a 'Miss' for me I'm afraid

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 10:30:30 CST 2010

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net> wrote:
> On 02/01/10 07:33, hike wrote:
>> Since this is the iPhone OS, I can also
>> leave the iPad overseas (a gift, etc.) without the concerns that I am
>> breaking USA weapons law (encryption programs, etc.).
>

> Am I the only one who is somewhere between amused and disgusted at the
> US government's myopic belief that nobody outside the borders of the US
> is smart enough to be competent at cryptography or cryptanalysis?

Phil, I think you over-estimate the intended effect of restricting
export of Crypto technology. I never assumed it was to squash all
other Crypto work, instead I assumed the issue was to not help them
out, let them come up with what they can by themselves...

Of course, you should never assume:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKlWGZHEO7Q (Skip to 4:30 into the
video, but I like the whole scene) ...

Lionel