[geeks] iPad - NOT a 'Miss' for me I'm afraid

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 08:12:32 CST 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 8:23 AM, <gsm at mendelson.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 07:54:16AM -0500, hike wrote:
>
>  This makes NO difference!  The Nook is vastly inferior to the iPad.  (At
>> this time neither device is available in our area so everything is based
>> on
>> B&N's and Apple's announcements and comments and, secondarily, on comments
>> of other ebook reader and iPhone  owners.)  The Nook (and any black and
>> white ebook reader) will offer a vastly inferior experience.  The iPad is
>> superior to the Nook in every area (for the purpose I would use it for).
>>

> That's a personal decsision. Remember that the iPAd has an active screen,
> which constantly refreshes, versions the nook/kindle which only changes
> once
> per page "flip".
>
>> As the one who wrote of taking an iPad on a foreign trip and leaving it at
>> the destination (with friends as a gift or for safe keeping)--the author
>> of
>> the "original comment", the $200 difference is more than offset by the
>> bigger, color display, available apps, and versatility of the iPad.  That
>> is, the $200 difference (minus the cost of SD cards) is unimportant for
>> the
>> intended purpose.  (You have missed the point of my comment!)
>>

> Indulge me. Send an email offering to bring an iPad with you or two nooks
> on your next trip. See what they say.

LOL!!! <--about the indulging request.  But it is a good point to ask which
they would like.  In this case, I will be using the device before and during
the trip and the Nook/Kindle is not suited for my purpose in taking it with
me.  (I can only take one device over.)

As stated previously, the 9.7" screen is easier to read than the 6" screen.
 (Mr. Bill recommended the larger Kindle DX over the smaller 6.7" Sony
ereader.)  When returning to a text, it is easier to scan the
text/paragraphs before to get back into the flow of the text.  It is very
important to me to do this as quickly as possible (I am a slow reader-ugh.)

The complexity of USB on the iPod is likely to be similar to the complexity
on the iPod or iPhone--that is, a special USB cable and iTunes.  (From the
descriptions, it appears that iTunes may not be needed to transfer
documents.)  This will be a known process before I leave.

>> On a more personal note, why would I, not wanting a Nook or a Kindle/2/DX
>> for myself, buy one to give to a friend?  That makes no sense.  Plus, on
>> the
>> practical side, the Nook/Kindle cannot connect in the country that we go
>> to.
>> On other hand, the iPad will be able to connect to computers.  Then there
>> is "customs"...but that is another story altogether.  (BTW, all the
>> content
>> that I leave is either in the public domain or licensed.  In case anyone
>> wondered.)
>>

> Since you have never actually said where you are going, I can only infer
> what is available from what you did. The nook (and the kindle BTW, have USB
> ports), the iPad does not. Yes it has an add on which provides USB, but it
> is
> an add on with extra cost and compexity.

A third world country is descriptive enough.  Some, but not all, of our
friends have wired connections at their place of business.  Their laptops
are relatively current.  The hotels don't have Internet PCs.  No Internet at
the airport.

> Wireless connectivity is a problem, the Kindle(s) use a US only cellular
> phone
> network, the nook uses WiFi, which is available in almost every country in
> the wold. NOT in every location, but it is there somewhere.
> My friend who is an early adopter of the Kindle (sent by her son in New
> York),
> is happy as can be with it. She connects to Amazon over the internet with
> her
> PC and buys books for it. She moves them over with the USB cable.
>
> As for the licensing of the material, I think I can safely assume that no
> matter where the people are, if they are not in the US then they live in
> a country with far less restrictive copyright laws and if they have any
> internet
> access at all, have far more availabilty to material than you ever will
> have.
>
> Again, since you have not said where you are going, I can only speculate on
> the receiption a device that can play video will have. There are parts of
> the
> world (and this country in fact), where they would not be accepted.
>

> Geoff.

LOL!!! <-- Their digital cameras do video and they are widely accepted.
 Video is not a stated purpose for the device though their self-produced
DVDs could be transferred to the iPad (according to Apple).  I don't think
about their DVDs since I am concerned with the transfer of written
materials.  Being almost deaf, audio is not a great concern for me.  The
materials, being technical, don't have audio or video versions.  Again, <1GB
of pdfs provide about 40K of nicely typeset pages of materials.  (Books are
still the repository of knowledge.)

Thank you!  Very much!  For bringing this to my attention.  I had not even
thought of this use because of my near deafness.