[geeks] Solaris 10 x86 recovery

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 12:29:30 CST 2010

On Jan 30, 2010, at 10:25 PM, Jonathan Patschke wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Jan 2010, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>
>>> I still don't know why the machine - and ONLY that machine - went down
>>> in the first place, but now I can start reviewing logs to find out why.
>>
>> And after studying logs, the conclusion?  Not ... one ... single ...
>> clue.  Nothing.  Zip.  Absolutely nothing logged.  Not even a core dump.
>
> Welcome to the joy that is Solaris Vista.  Weird shit happens, and it
> usually doesn't tell you why.  It will, however, refuse to import your SMF
> services if you have the slightest little bit of XML out of order.

u8 and u9 have been rock solid for me @ home; ditto @ work for u6-8 at work,
and we have >50% on x86 Solaris.

This sounds like a hardware error to me--like maybe the controller fell over
with no warning?  The only "oddities" I've had beyond that root zfs patch
problem have been as a result of Virtual Box.

As for SMF, the only problem I have with it is that the stupid documentation's
example of XML is *wrong*--and the fact that "enterprise" software companies
still haven't implemented their start up scripts as SMF services (I'm looking
@ you Symantec).