[geeks] iPad - NOT a 'Miss' for me I'm afraid

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Mon Feb 1 09:30:25 CST 2010

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On 02/01/10 07:33, hike wrote:
>> Since this is the iPhone OS, I can also
>> leave the iPad overseas (a gift, etc.) without the concerns that I am
>> breaking USA weapons law (encryption programs, etc.).
>

> Am I the only one who is somewhere between amused and disgusted at the
> US government's myopic belief that nobody outside the borders of the US
> is smart enough to be competent at cryptography or cryptanalysis?

The French used to have even more draconian laws about crypto.

The purpose of such laws is to use them selectively against those they
want to crack further...

"Did you really think we want those laws observed?" said Dr. Ferris. "We
want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a
bunch of boy scouts you're up against... We're after power and we mean
it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government
has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't
enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a
crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.
Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for
anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor
enforced or objectively interpreted  and you create a nation of
law-breakers  and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr.
Rearden, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much
easier to deal with."

(quote from Atlas Shrugged)

--Patrick