[geeks] iPad - NOT a 'Miss' for me I'm afraid

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Feb 1 07:07:56 CST 2010

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 07:33:39AM -0500, hike wrote:
>Your right, Lionel.  The color bar is 3.5".  After digging a little, I found
>that the Nook has an 6" diagonal screen for the black and white reading/text
>area.  The iPad has a 9.7" diagonal screen for the color
>reading/text/display area.
>
>Another concern for me is internal travel.  Apart from Custom's notebook
>policy, a laptop is too big and bulky for me to travel with.  On the other
>hand, the iPad is the size of the books that I generally take with me.  With
>the iPad, I can carry 50 of the books that I own in paper and pdf versions
>in the space of one paper book.  Since this is the iPhone OS, I can also
>leave the iPad overseas (a gift, etc.) without the concerns that I am
>breaking USA weapons law (encryption programs, etc.).  The base iPad has
>enough space for my needs and is cheap enough to leave with a friend.  Being
>a "simpler" OS, it takes less training than a PC OS.

The main difference between the two is the screen. The nook as a screen that
draws power only when you "flip" a page, the iPad draws power all the time.

If you are flying to London for example, an iPad would be fine. If you were
coming here, or the Pacific rim, you would be out of juice long before the
filght lands.

AFAIK the iPad does not have a user changable battery, so you can't carry a
spare and swap in flight.

The nook reads PDF files without conversion too. Amazon did not add that feature
to the Kindle, to reduce competition.

Since I don't know the size of the books you read, I can only guess, but
a nook with a handful of SD RAM cards would probaly hold everything you could
read in your life, let alone on one trip.

The iPad is a bigger device with more features, but at a cost.

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.