[geeks] Test Drive a Google Chrome Netbook

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Sun Dec 12 18:55:05 CST 2010

On 12/12/2010 7:43 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On 12/12/10 14:09, Sven Aluoor wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Google Chrome is total crap. You completely loose control over your
>> data. Everything is stored in the cloud.
>> Does Google Chrome have a Terminal Emulator for connecting to UNIX
>> boxes? There are so many applications not available for Google Chrome.
> To me, the whole point of mobile devices is that they're mobile.  What
> on earth is the use of a mobile device on which losing your network
> connection means losing access to all of your data?
>
> IMHO the whole idea of the cloud is vastly overrated.

It's all buzzword bullshit if you ask me.  Especially when you get to
places that are talking about a "private cloud" for businesses.  Email
has been "in the cloud" for many years (yahoo, hotmail, private servers
with webmail).  IMAP syncs my email to "the cloud", if you call my
colocated VM part of it (which some would).  This is nothing that is
different than what has been going on for at least a decade, but we came
up with the buzzword in the last year or two.

     -Dan Sikorski