[geeks] Test Drive a Google Chrome Netbook

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Sun Dec 12 18:37:16 CST 2010

On 12/12/2010 6:35 PM, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> On 12/12/2010 02:09 PM, Sven Aluoor wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Google Chrome is total crap. You completely loose control over your
>> data. Everything is stored in the cloud.
>> Does Google Chrome have a Terminal Emulator for connecting to UNIX
>> boxes? There are so many applications not available for Google Chrome.
<snip>
> Finally, if I'm not mistaken, ChromeOS is also being released as the
> open source ChromiumOS.  If you want ChromeOS in general, but require
> specific changes, presumably at some point you will be able to zap you
> ChromeOS firmware and install a customized ChromiumOS image that
> someone distributed.
>
> Google is making it clear that this is not yet for everyone.  Heck, I
> don't think they are eating their own dog food here yet.
>
> Personally, my first thought was: How would I do without emacs?  Of
> course, someone has made a GTK/HTML frontend, so I suppose I could
> potentially use that with GTK emacs...

Further, this is an early release of a Google product.  It could just as
easily be as successful as Wave as it could be as successful as
Android.  This release could bear little resemblance to anything is
considered a Beta and of course, it will likely be a Beta for a long
time.  I'd like to check it out.

      -Dan Sikorski