[geeks] "Oracle SPARC Supercluster"

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Fri Dec 10 09:13:46 CST 2010

On 12/10/2010 3:54 AM, mail at catsnest.co.uk wrote:
> ok so how do I convince my boss we need to upgrade our current Oracle DB
> server:
>
> System Configuration: Sun Microsystems  sun4u Sun Fire E2900

>   8:53am  up 470 day(s), 21:10,  2 users,  load average: 2.03, 1.96, 1.89

A load average of 2 seems pretty high to me ... wouldn't you want to
have a lower load average?

Should have your Ora-gurus check the SGA and other twiddle-bits of the
configuration...

Seriously though, my take on the Oracluster is that it is supposed to
take on IBM's big DB2 installs which I assume, are used by e.g. airline
ticketing, Visa/MC/Amex processing, etc.

FWIW the last generation of Sun server hardware (AMD64, Xeons) did not
impress me half so much as the latest HP stuff I have seen.

--Patrick