[geeks] Mounting adapters

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Wed Dec 8 21:12:33 CST 2010

Hey folks,
Does anyone know of a mounting adapter bracket to mount a 2.5" HDD or
(in this case) SSD into a 3.5" bay, which (and this is the absolutely
crucial part) mounts into the bay with #6-32 HDD mounting screws, NOT
with M3-0.5 FDD/optical mounting screws?  I want to mount two 2.5" SSDs
in the 3.5" disk cage in a Thermaltake Element G case, and the case's
vibration-isolation drive mounting system is such that I *MUST* use the
supplied shouldered/bushed screws, which - being intended to screw into
3.5" HDDs - are threaded 6-32 to match the 6-32 threads used on all 3.5"
HDDs.  But so far, without exception, every damned mounting adapter I've
found is set up for M3-0.5 screws, and every adapter save one is stamped
sheet metal too thin to drill and retap 6-32.

(The one exception, at $7 per bracket, is an aluminum extrusion thick
enough to drill and re-tap, but lacking a proper drill press, that's my
last resort.)

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.