[geeks] Kindle 3 and other eReaders

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Wed Aug 18 02:35:18 CDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 10:15:39PM +0300, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
> AFAIK the Kindle is a US only telephone device.

The 3G + WiFi Kindle supports 3G globally (Amazon covers the roaming
charge) but only in areas that have GSM, of course. I'm not 100% sure if
the web browser can be used over 3G, however - it used to be that only
access to Wikipedia was permitted (all other browsing had to be done via
WiFi).

> I also like the ability of the Nook to read ePub books, which seems to be
> the newest standard. It's also small, I have over 3200 ePub books in 624meg
> of disk space.

Good point - the Kindle doesn't currently support ePub. I think the best
approach then is to use something like Calibre (open source) to convert[1].

[1] http://calibre-ebook.com/

-mj
--
 Michael-John Turner