[geeks] fwd: OpenSolaris is Dead. Long Live Solaris 11 Express

Geoffrey Reed geoffr at zipcon.net
Tue Aug 17 23:04:29 CDT 2010

On 8/17/10 9:31 AM, "Brian Dunbar" <brian.dunbar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Sandwich Maker <adh at an.bradford.ma.us>
> wrote:
> <snip>
>> i hadn't gotten around to learning the ins-and-outs of s10, and now i'm
>> starting to think why bother...
>
> Continued employment?
>
> Solaris at $work isn't going away real soon - it's gonna be around for
> a long while.

I work at one of the largest unix shops in the industry we are in (sorry,
can't get more specific)  I can tell you with Oracle and their latest
support cost restructuring, it looks like it will no longer cost effective
to continue using solaris on sparc.

Our support costs are currently going up enough that with the service
contracts on software and hardware we could replace up to 25 or 30% of our
hardware with brand new each year if we weren't carrying support contracts
beyond the 1-year that is purchased with the hardware.

-these are my personal opinions and do not reflect the attitude of my
employer, <insert standard butt covering legalese here>.