[geeks] Kindle 3 and other eReaders

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Aug 17 14:15:39 CDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 11:50:37AM -0700, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
>SWMBO and I are going on an international trip soon.  During the trip, there
>will be lots of time when there isn't much to do but read, so I'm looking
>into eReaders to cut down on the luggage volume.
>
>Naturally, I'm tending toward the newest Kindle, but I'm fairly agnostic on
>the issue.  I want something easy-to-read (particularly outdoors), with the
>ability to get some news in areas where we don't speak the local language
>and where computer-type connectivity is either expensive or non-existent.
>
>If anyone has any suggestions or experience in this area, drop me a note
>off-list and I'll ask some real questions.

Buy the WiFi Nook instead. WiFi is everywhere, and is universal, while the
various phone systems are not.

That's the problem in this direction with an iPad, much of the world has
a cellular phone system other than GSM, and those that do charge
enourmous roaming rates, so you are back to WiFi.

AFAIK the Kindle is a US only telephone device.

I also like the ability of the Nook to read ePub books, which seems to be
the newest standard. It's also small, I have over 3200 ePub books in 624meg
of disk space.

The nook, btw, is cheap enough you can leave it as a gift at your final
destination before returning home. Make someone happy.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must order