[geeks] Suggestions for USB to serial adapter?

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 18:55:39 CDT 2009

On Aug 19, 2009, at 5:17 PM, Nate wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My recent fiddling with old workstations made me realize that it
> would be super-handy to have a USB to serial adapter so that I can
> use my netbook running linux as a terminal from time to time.  What
> is the best USB to serial adapter available?  (Extra points for
> broad compatibility and blinky lights!)

Late response:

I have one with a PL2303 that I use on the Mac with minicom from
MacPorts.  It works decently, though sometimes, unplugging it will
send a break to the Suns.  I've not figured out what the edge case is
that causes that, as I aways exit minicom before unplugging, and it
doesn't always happen.

I would've preferred a Keyspan, but needed one on short notice and
Fry's didn't have them.

=Nadine=