[geeks] The illusion of Windows 7

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Oct 31 19:17:51 CDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 08:10:55PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:

>....I'm almost afraid to ask.

I'm about to go to bed, but in a nutshell, do you know all about those
constant prompts from Windows Vista for your admin password to do just
about anything?

Someone ported it to Linux, and everyone has adopted it.

To quote Wednesday Addams, "be afraid, be very afraid".

BTW, the first thing I found with UBUNTU 9.10 is that it offers you a list
of user's full names if you use the gnome display manager to prompt your for
an X windows login, and the usual ways of turning it off in the gdm.conf file
no longer work.

To make it worse, KDM (the kde display manager) crashes on my system.

Geoff.