[geeks] The illusion of Windows 7

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Sat Oct 31 19:00:51 CDT 2009

Jonathan J. M. Katz wrote:
> Ugh.
>
> A while back I tried the Windows 7 Beta and liked it. Horrible, I know.
>
> Since I'm a student, I snagged an upgrade copy of the 64bit
> Professional version for $29.99. I have a 64bit machine (Lenovo
> Thinkpad T61.) I'd turn it into a hackintosh, but the Intel-based
> wireless and nVidia Quadro 140M graphics makes this useless (neither
> are supported.) The wireless support in Linux (concept of right-click,
> connect to network) has underwhelmed me, even in working with Ubuntu
> 9.x in the past 12 months.

Well, there's your Linux problem:  Ubuntu.

"A man has a problem.  He decides to solve it with Ubuntu.  Now, he has
two problems."

(Actually, that particular problem is less an Ubuntu one, than a
networkmanager one.  I detest and despise networkmanager, and I want to
apply a clue-by-four to whatever drooling retard it was that thought it
was a good idea to create a network management tool for Linux that can
ONLY start up networking from a GUI.  I mean, even *Windows* isn't THAT
stupid.)

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.