[geeks] Fwd: Exceedingly low-priced servers at geeks.com

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Sat Oct 31 15:26:45 CDT 2009

Gaz God wrote:
> From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
>> Yeah, that seems ... excessive.  But I suppose when you consider
>> everything it does, it's not just a typical firewall-router appliance.
>

> If you read the Hardware Requirements the minimum under the section "Minimum
> Configurations (Trials, Refurbished or Repurposed Hardware)" Is 800Mhz and
> 512 MB, This is for 50 users.

Yup.  And I figure it's going to work just fine as a house server on the
box I'm pondering trying it out on, which is a 2.4GHz P4 with 1GB of RAM
anyway...

(I don't really need all of its features; I've got most of them covered
anyway.  The box it'd be replacing just does firewall, routing and DHCP.
 But it looks like Untangle does have one thing I've been having trouble
finding: a good web filter that we can use to lock the small people out
of sites we don't want them going to.  The 7-year-old, for example, has
a remarkable talent for finding the most tasteless and offensive flash
games on addictinggames.com.)

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.