[geeks] Exceedingly low-priced servers at geeks.com

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sat Oct 31 11:28:08 CDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 11:17:55PM -0400, Nate wrote:
> A little less kitchen-sink than Untangle is:
> http://www.pfsense.com/

I recently (couple of months ago) switched from DD-WRT on a WRT54GL to
running PFSense (latest 1.2.3 snapshot for 512M CF) on an Alix 2C3 board:

http://www.netgate.com/product_info.php?products_id=450

In this enclosure:

http://www.netgate.com/product_info.php?cPath=67_110&products_id=573

After a couple hours of setup and tweaking (mostly QoS rules etc) it's been
ROCK SOLID.  Plus, the developers are very responsive (on Twitter, even).

I did however cut a hole in the back of the enclosure with some tin snips
so I can swap out the CF card without taking the board out of the case.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas