[geeks] Exceedingly low-priced servers at geeks.com

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 15:30:50 CDT 2009

On Oct 30, 2009, at 12:13 PM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
wrote:

> Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> On a lark I took a look at Geeks.com, and they have a fair number of
>> refurb (and new) rackmount x86 servers, most with free shipping.
>>
>> The lowest price-point is the HP DL145 G2 (dual Opteron 246, 4 Gig
>> RAM, 80 Gig SATA HD, dual Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet ports) - $109
>> w/free shipping.
>> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=DL145-R&cat=SYS
>
> That's really not bad going.  Plug in and play for $109.  I'd be
> really
> tempted, if we could spare the money.

It's the free shipping that pushes these towards being a deal, IMHO.

If I saw one in a local store at that price I'd probably pick one up
on a whim, but I really don't need one...

Depending on how the memory is configured it could be a cheap way to
upgrade an Ultra 20...

Damn, now I have to think about it... Could make a nice untangle box...