[geeks] CPU fans

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Fri Oct 30 06:58:40 CDT 2009

Lionel Peterson wrote:
> On Oct 29, 2009, at 5:13 PM, "Ido Dubrawsky" <idubraws at dubrawsky.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Need advice on a good CPU fan for an AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus
>> Quad-Core CPU.  Building a new server for the home.
>
> I almost always run my systems at stock clock speeds and use OEM
> heatsinks/fans from retail packaged CPUs, so that would be my advice,
> unless you can't find a retail-packed AMD 630 CPU.
>
> I've had good luck with lower-cost Thermaltake units, but that is as
> much a function of what is available locally.
>
> I just bought two new heatsinks for an older Dell 1600sc server,
> taking it from 1x 2.0 GHz Xeon to 2x 3.06 GHz Xeon, and getting two
> appropriate heatsinks cost almost as much as the CPUs..
>
> I (personally) don't understand $75 heatsink/fans, but I also don't
> overclock...

Personally, particularly given that even the high-end mega-bling
uber-coolers achieve at best a couple of degrees over a basic OEM
cooler, my primary criteria are silence and ability to easily replace
the fan (i.e, standard size fan instead of something unobtainium).  The
Thermaltake Silent Max K8 in vorlon is still working fine, and still
almost totally silent, after four and a half years of near-continuous
operation.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.