[geeks] Telesign TS-16 LED sign

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Wed Oct 21 20:55:34 CDT 2009

> I am in possession of a Telesign red led sign model ts-16.  Every now
> and again I get the thing out of the closet in the hallway in an
> attempt to try to make it work.  It has a 25 pin female "serial port"
> on it (in quotes because I'm not sure if it's standard serial or
> not).

It strikes me as plausible, at least, that it is a parallel-port device
rather than a serial-line device.

Perhaps open it up and at least look at which pins on the DB25 are
actually wired to something?  If it's 1-2-3-7, that's a strong
indication it's serial; if lots of them, especially with lots of the
high-numbered pins tied to ground, that's a hint it could be parallel
(the classic peecee parallel port has ground on pins 18-25).

Of course, it may be completely custom.  But I wouldn't give up without
at least _trying_ - not that that's advice you seem to need! :-)

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org