[geeks] anyone know about this? 72-core, 48GB computer?

Nate nate at portents.com
Sun Oct 18 22:03:03 CDT 2009

On Oct 18, 2009, at 1:53 PM, velociraptor wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 8:38 AM, Phil Stracchino
> <alaric at metrocast.net>
> wrote:
>> velociraptor wrote:

Bad as the P4 days?  As in Socket 478?  Socket 478 was trivial to get
on - push down the four corners with the levers open, close the two
levers (which is what applies the pressure between the heatsink and
the CPU), done.  Getting it off was annoying because after opening the
two levers, you had to use a flathead screwdriver to release the four
clips at the corners, but it wasn't *too* bad.

Maybe you meant AMD Socket A... either as a single center clip, or
when it was expanded to support three clip positions on each side, it
could be a bit tricky to get on and off because you had to use a
flathead screwdriver or other tool to pry the clip and you had to
worry about slipping and potentially jabbing the motherboard or nearby
components.

>>> It's really not that bad now.  The CPUs drop right in these days,
>>> and
>>> the heat sinks attachments are better designed if you go Intel (no
>>> !#%^* clips, just screws through the top down to the backing plate
>>> behind the mobo).  Unfortunately, AMD still has those !#%^* clips.

Huh?  AMD clips are typically trivial now, because they added a simple
latching lever.  Open the level, it relieves pressure between the
heatsink and CPU, and you can pretty easily lift the the heatsink off
because the clip is loose.  And getting it on is easy.

>> I thought AMD boards used bolt-through heat sink mounts now, too....

Bolt-through kits are optional on both platforms, and more common in
server/workstation configurations from major manufacturers (you see
them a lot in rack-mount kit).

> The backing plate and support are, but the heat sink still uses a
> clip.  The Intel bracket for the heat sink is screwed on.

Not the Intel OEM heatsinks.  Since LGA 775, OEM Intel heatsinks have
four plastic pushpins that have two positions depending on the
rotation of the top part, latch when down and unlatch.  So to install
you have to get the outer part of the pushpins through four holes
around the CPU socket, then push down so a center part of the pushpin
goes down through the middle and spreads the outer part of the pushpin
on the underside of the socket out so that it latches, and you have to
do this in a criss-cross X order or you won't be able to get all the
pushpins locked due to the amount of board flex that occurs as the
heatsink puts pressure on the socket with no backing plate (this is by
design).

Of course they also designed the Intel sockets to support optional
backing plates, but that is not what you get from Intel when you buy a
retail CPU for mainstream desktop sockets.

- Nate