[geeks] anyone know about this? 72-core, 48GB computer?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 09:18:06 CDT 2009

Are they available at retail stores yet? I recall looking a couple
weeks ago and couldn't find them for sale...

A hundred dollar MB with room for 4 Gigs of dual-channel memory, two
SATA ports, and an IDE port (or three SATA ports) would make a nice
network appliance box. An expansion slot that can take a dual port
gigabit NIC (PCI Express X1 or better, PCI-X would work, but would be
unlikely) would make it an excellent network appliance box, IMHO.

By appliance I'm thinking Untangle, squid caching proxy, etc.

Intel has mini-ITX MBs that take socket 775 CPUs and 4 Gigs and have
nice expansion options, but they are $150 plus CPU, and consume
'normal levels' of power...

I'll take a look for the Ion MBs again - thanks,

Lionel