[geeks] anyone know about this? 72-core, 48GB computer?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 18:43:38 CDT 2009

On Oct 1, 2009, at 3:36 PM, nate at portents.com wrote:

>> The Atom CPU consumes 4-5 Watts, this core uses one-fifth of that?
>>
>> Are they Transmete Atoms?
>>
>> Lionel
>
> You mean Transmeta Atoms?

Blasted iPhone auto-correct!!!

Yes, that's what I meant...

>  No.  Wikipedia says that each node is a
> system-on-a-chip, 6 cores per chip, 32k I and 32k D caches per core,
> 256k
> shared L2 per node (i.e. shared by all cores).  There were two
> revisions
> of nodes, one with 500Mhz cores, the other with 700Mhz cores.  The SoC
> also has two DDR2 memory channels and PCIe 8x as the system
> interconnect,
> which keeps things pretty simple overall.
>
> Now compare that to the Atom 230, which runs at 1600Mhz, has 32k I
> cache
> and 24k D cache, 512k L2 cache, 32-bit as well as 64-bit instruction
> sets,
> MMX, SSE, SSE2, and SSE3 support, HyperThreading, and macro-ops to
> micro-ops translation (though it is considerably streamlined from
> other
> current x86 cores, with a closer to 1:1 translation).  In the end,
> despite
> being fairly stripped down for x86, it's still beefier than the MIPS64
> cores used in the SiCortex SoC.

There is a dual core Atom, the 330.

I'm about to build my home test network with a D945GCLF2 MB running
WinServer 2008 R2 which is x64 capable acting as Primary Domain
Controller, should be fine with just 2 Gigs of RAM...

I want to see an Atom MB that supports 4 Gigs of RAM ;^)

Lionel