[geeks] Windows 7 Weirdness

Nate nate at portents.com
Fri Nov 6 20:18:11 CST 2009

On Nov 6, 2009, at 7:43 PM, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

> I've been familiarizing myself with Windows 7 by using it on my
> HTPC. There's one problem I've run into though.  I can't get any
> video files to produce sound in DTS format.  Videos with AC3 and PCM
> tracks work just fine.  I just can't DTS to work.  Any ideas?  I
> hate Windows 7's "built-in codec" thing.

Windows Media Player 12 uses the new Media Foundation instead of the
old DirectShow filters.

As of yet, there isn't a Media Foundation DTS filter yet, but you can
vote for one here:

http://code.google.com/p/ac3filter/issues/detail?id=21

In the meantime, you should be able to make use of things like Media
Player Classic Home Cinema to use DirectShow filters in Windows 7:

http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

- Nate