[geeks] Good, Competent UK Managed Web Hosting?

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Nov 3 18:00:40 CST 2009

Mark Benson wrote:
> On 3 Nov 2009, at 19:53, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>
>> Mark Benson wrote:
>>> Looking for a new web host. Our existing hosting company has just
>>> dropped the ball big time on us. Total Schoolboy error too, didn't
>>> dump our DB to file before doing a MySQL upgrade and corrupted it
>>> irreparably. Admittedly we should have had a backup of it too, but
>>> when you do an operation like that surely you should at least make
>>> some kind of effort to avoid total disaster?!
>> Why should they?  Microsoft didn't...........
>
> Funny. Thankfully our server on their network is running NetBSD so the
> OS is at least *less* likely to be the issue :P

I was thinking less of OS issues, than the recent and ongoing Sidekick
outage and associated data loss, which turned out to be because MS were
too impatient to complete a fresh backup before they started an OS
upgrade on the server farm.

Turns out the Danger division's backup farm had only room for one full
backup, and they'd erased that before they started to make room for the
new backup they were going to do, but then the MS manager of the
division apparently got bored or something, so they killed the backup
two days into a six-day backup and fired off the OS upgrade.  Which
they'd been assured would be straightforward.  And which promptly went
pear-shaped.  Oops.

Oh well, all those Sidekick users didn't really need their data that
badly....

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.